Sunday, September 26, 2010

Seriously.

Washing dishes. IS NOT THAT HARD.

You only have to do it about
three times a day, and if you actually do it those three times it should only take about three minutes. And if you take those three minutes, three times a day to fulfill this simple task, then your kitchen won't smell like feet and you'll be able to invite friends over without being embarrassed. But unfortunately, this doesn't embarrass everybody. Some people really don't mind it at all actually.

What do you do when no one cares but you?

I wrote a friendly note above the sink.
Please do your dishes as you use them :)


A while later, I drew over top of those letters a few times.
Please do your dishes as you use them :)
(I didn't draw over the smiley face. I even thought about whiting-out the smiley face.)

I spoke with each person about how easy it would be to just do our own dishes right after we use them. Then, our kitchen would basically stay clean, and we would never have a huge pile up of dishes. Wouldn't that be nice?
It sure would, they agreed.

But then the dishes began piling up. So I did them. Maybe, I thought, they will feel bad for me having to do ALL these dishes, and they'll each do their own next time.

But next time came, and they didn't do their dishes. I did.

Now back to those three minutes, three times a day. If only one person does all three (x three = nine) minutes for everyone (x six = fifty-four), that's a lot of minutes for that one person. That's especially a lot when they're doing it almo
st every day of the week.

What do I do next? Whiteout the smiley face?


September is almost over.



And best roommate of the month award goes to me.

5 comments:

ma said...

aw Millie, I'm so sorry. I totally remember having slob roommates and the frustrations of all that (I'm talking in my single days, just in case you were concerned haha). Seems to me there was quite the abundance of dishes around there - maybe you should start throwing them out when they leave them! If it gets down to where they have to wash a plate in order to have one to use, they might figure it out. Or you could maybe just put their dirty dishes in their room. It'd get rid of the smell in the kitchen, right? Anyway - Congratulations! You so deserve this award!

Krewson Family said...

Im sorry too... I totally remember how MISERABLE it was. When Chris and I were dating I am pretty sure he did dishes more than my roommates and we concluded many a date nights with trying to get the awful stench out of the apartment. On a happy note Cooper is coming this week :)and you wont be in your apartment that much. I agree with Shelia :) put them on their beds (put a garbage bag down first) and then put a smiley face.

Tracey Minaker said...

How are those dish pan hands doing? I am so sorry that you are dealing with this. Dave had a roommate before we got married and he drove Dave nuts. He would NEVER clean up the kitchen. Dave decided to let the dishes sit until his roommate cleaned, but instead his creative roomie opened a can and put it on the burner because there were no clean pots. Dave came home one day to find the kitchen cleaned up and couldn't believe it. Dave turned the oven on to start prepping for dinner but couldn't find a pot to use. He opened the oven door to find his brand new lagostina pots shoved in the oven baking all the dirty food onto them. He was so ticked off. He can look back at it now and laugh but it was not funny at the time.
Unfortunately you can't change them or force them into cleaning up after themselves. If talking to them doesn't work, maybe you could start posting signs above the dirty dishes, "roomie #1 dirty dishes". Maybe if roomie #1 brings a date home they might be embarrassed and think twice about not doing dishes if they want a second date. Good luck. Enjoy your time with that adorable nephew of yours and forget about the dishes for a couple of days. Love ya.

Alli Krewson said...

hahah oh mil. i love this post. i mean, i'm sorry for your misfortune, but this post is so funny!

janna said...

hahah oh mela! this post made me smile! miken and i are having the same problem! me and her do ALL the dishes every stinkin night. because we love a clean kitchen. and our kitchen is itsy bitsy. so a few dishes feel like a disaster! and her and i have the heaviest course load. we are always gone to the library all night. and get home late...when our roommate has been sitting at home, on her computer, in her room for HOURS since she finished work. but does she be a nice roommate and do the dishes every once in awhile... no! she NEVER does. we keep hoping she will notice how we do hers all the time and return the favor. so far that aint working. and its been 2 months! sooo we've been debating on what we should say to her!